Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Teste Tuesday - Fast Forward Fourteen Years

As usual, R arrived right at 7:30. Just as he has for the last ten years. Ever since his brother was implicated in the now infamous "Nacho Incident", R has been at the helm of his family's business. He usually is at the office until 10 pm, but he makes time for Ida and me on Tuesdays. He knocked twice on the door before throwing it wide open and making a b-line for the bar.

While filling a shaker of martinis, he asked what it was he smelled wafting in from the kitchen. I began to tell him and was interrupted by Ida and Snot making their grand entrance.

I walked into the living room and Ida had already planted her ass in the couch while snapping her fingers signaling R to get that freshly poured martini into her wrinkled hands, immediately. By the time Ida brought the glass to her lips, Snot had just made it up the last step into the room. I grabbed a towel and laid it out in the corner for her. She knew the routine. After greeting R, she meandered towards me and plopped herself down. She is twelve now, and it is a wonder that she made it past ten. After her last dog, Ida kept saying she would never have another one. Then, on that fateful day at the carnival, she forgot all about her pet moratorium. When she saw Snot grabbing some shade under a trailer, which was just baking in the hot summer sun, she knew they were kindred souls. If it were not for daily dialysis, Snot would be long gone. When Ida won the lottery, Snot also won the lottery.

Ida smoked a bowl with me and then asked what I was serving. Damn, have I came a long way. Instead of grabbing something to eat on the way over to my house or on the way home, Ida and R have came to look forward to Tuesdays. Tonight they were both happy to learn that we were beginning with Crab Cakes with Fresh Chive Sauce and Tomato Concassee. Followed by a Baby Green Salad with Artichoke Vinaigrette. I was surprised they didn't recognize the Rondelle of Salmon with Juniper Berry Sauce by smell. I've lost count how many times I've cooked it!

While we ate, we talked about our weeks and retold stories that we all love hearing. And again, laughed about how much money I made reinventing the wheel.

After we finished the Chocolate Grand Marnier Torte with Orange Caramel Sauce, our stomachs were stretched and our eyes were heavy. Ida gathered up Snot in the corner, opened the door and whistled for her driver. As abruptly as they had entered the evening, they left.

When I turned from shutting the door behind them, I saw R sprawled out on the couch. I took his shoes off of his heavy legs and tossed a throw on top of him. When I turned the light off, I couldn't help but think how much I looked forward to next Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home